Photo Gallery
Army Service
Army in Germany
Contact Us


Photos and maps courtesy of "US Army in Germany, 1945-1989" www.usarmygermany.com
Conn Barracks in the 1950s
Conn Barracks in 2002
in the 1950s
in 2002
Conn Barracks in the 1960s - Buildings 28 and Sherman Drive
Conn Barracks in the 1960s - Chapel and Building 14 on Sherman Drive
in the 1960s
in the 1960s
Conn Barracks in 1974
Conn Barracks in 2002
in 1974
in 2002
3rd Infantry Division's footprint from 1958 until 1992
Armor Battalion's Area in 2002
3ID 1958-1992
Armor Battalion area



Ledward Barracks in the 1950s
Ledward Barracks in 1974
in the 1950s
in 1974


Map of Schweinfurt (West)

Schweinfurt Area Map

1. Conn Barracks

2. Ledward Barracks

3. Askren Manor Housing Area

Geoff Walden's "Third Reich in Ruins"


Other U.S. Army Posts during the Cold War


Conn Barracks
March 1936 - September 1937 Construction of the Flugplatz. After completion, the airbase became a Luftwaffe training base, particularly for Stuka pilots.

1941 - 1945 During WWII, the airbase serves as a bomber base.

April 11, 1945 After heavy bombings and artillery fire, troops of the 42nd Infantry Division, Seventh US Army, enters Schweinfurt from the West and Southwest and seizes the Flugplatz.

April 1945 The airbase is occupied by Army Air Corps units and used as an airbase. The installation is renamed Schweinfurt Air Base.

1947 The airbase is occupied by the 6th Constabulary Regiment and the 28th Constabulary Squadron.

December 22, 1947 Schweinfurt Air Base is redesignated as Conn Barracks, in honor of 2nd Lt Orville B. Conn, Jr., a member of the 6th Cav Gp, who was killed in France during WWII.

1948 Conn Barracks is officially taken over by the US Army.

From 1958 until 1996, it was home to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division; 3rd Battalion, 64th Armor; 2nd Battalion, 64th Armor; 6th Battalion, 52nd Air Defense Artillery; 3rd Support Battalion; C Company, 3rd Aviation Battalion (Combat). In 1991, 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry moved to Conn Barracks from Ledward. During this period, Schweinfurt had the highest concentration of combat units compared to all of the other posts in West Germany.

From 1996 until 2008, it was home to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division; 1st Battalion, 77th Armor; 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry; 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry; 299th Support Battalion; and the 601st CSD and a number of community support businesses and organizations.

Conn Barracks sits just outside Schweinfurt's city limits. It is currently home to 172nd Support Battalion of the 172nd Infantry Brigade. Other units include the 1st Squadron, 91st Cavalry; 15th Engineer Battalion; 72nd Expeditionary Signal Battalion; 12th Chemical Company and a number of community support businesses and organizations. The 18th Engineer Brigade headquarters will soon be located on Conn Barracks.

Schweinfurt's status as a ball bearing manufacturing center made it an ideal target during the Second World War. Between October 1944 and April 1945 the city endured no less than seventeen Allied bombing attacks. Since most of the German troops had already left the city for other fronts, air defense artillery behind the Flugplatz was manned only by the "Reichsarbeitsdienst" (teenagers who were issued brown uniforms, shovels and military discipline prior to joining the Army).

Ledward Barracks
1935 - 1936 Construction of Panzer Kaserne. After completion, the kaserne houses various Wehrmacht units, including Panzer regiments, artillery and Panzergrenadier units.

1944 A large portion of the kaserne is destroyed during Allied bombings of Schweinfurt.

After April 1945 Panzer Kaserne is used as a refugee resettlement center for refugees from Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Yugoslavia.

October 19, 1946 Panzer Kaserne is redesignated Ledward Barracks, in honor of Col Ledward who was killed in action in Italy in 1944.

1948 Ledward Barracks is taken over by the US Army. Units of the 1st Infantry Division are located at Ledward until May 1955.

May 1955 The 86th Infantry Regiment, 10th Infantry Division, arrives from the States as part of the first Operation GYROSCOPE move and is stationed at Ledward.

July 1957 Under an Army-wide reorganization (Pentomic), the 86th Inf Regt is reorganized and redesignated as the 2nd Battle Group (BG), 7th Infantry and the 2nd BG, 10th Inf.

March 1958 Under Operation GYROSCOPE, the 1st BG, 30th Inf and 2nd BG, 38th Inf - both part of the 3rd Infantry Division - arrive in Schweinfurt to replace the 10th Inf Div units.

From 1958 until 1996, it was home to the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry; 2nd Battalion, 30th Infantry; 1st Battalion, 10th Field Artillery; 10th Engineer Battalion; and 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, which later reflagged to 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry and moved to Conn Barracks 1991.

From 1996 until 2008, it was home to the 280th Base Support Battalion; 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry; 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery; 9th Engineer Battalion; B-Detachment, 38th Personnel Service Battalion; 630th Military Police Company; C-Detachment 106th Finance Battalion; the U.S. Army Health Clinic, Schweinfurt; and a number of community support businesses and organizations.

Ledward Barracks is currently home to the U.S. Army Garrison Schweinfurt; 7th Theater Tactical Signal Brigade; 1st Battalion, 77th Field Artillery; 9th Engineer Battalion; 630th Military Police Company; 44th Expeditionary Signal Battalion; the U.S. Army Health Clinic, Schweinfurt; and a number of community support businesses and organizations.

The Panzer Kaserne was much larger during the Second World War than it is today. Modern day Ledward Barracks does not include areas of the former post such as the Mercedes plant or the city's bus garage. Extensive bomb damage during the war destroyed much of the kaserne. Immediately following Schweinfurt's surrender in 1945 the kaserne was used as a refugee camp for displaced Estonians, Yugoslavs, Lithuanians, and Poles. US Consulate Offices were also located here.


Bavaria Coat of Arms Lower Franconia Coat of Arms Schweinfurt County Coat of Arms Schonungen Municipality Coat of Arms